At Northwest Federal, we are committed to providing exceptional service to our members and our communities. Your health, safety and your financial well-being are our primary concerns. Please check back here for additional updates as they become available.
CARES Act Resources
The CARES Act Economic Relief Plan provides a number of measures designed to support individuals and businesses impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are a few of the ways the law may impact you and your accounts:
Small Business Provisions >LEARN MORE - The Economic Injury Disaster Loan as well as the Paycheck Protection Program were established to provide relief for small business owners. The SBA is not currently accepting applications for the PPP after exhausting the initial funding but we are continuing to accept and help prepare applications in anticipation of additional funding to be approved soon.
Retirement Account Distribution Provisions >LEARN MORE - The 10 percent early withdrawal penalty will be waived on retirement account distributions for taxpayers under age 59 1/2 who face financial challenges due to the virus. The law also waives required minimum distribution rules for certain retirement plans.
Economic Impact Payments >LEARN MORE - The Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service has announced that impact payments will be automatically sent to taxpayers in the next few weeks. The IRS has developed a web-based portal to help you check the status of your payment and provide your direct deposit information. Learn how to find your electronic account number for your Northwest Federal Account within Online Banking.
Financial Assistance from Northwest Federal
Relief Line of Credit
- We are offering a Relief Line of Credit for those members who may experience a financial hardship as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
- We are offering up to a two month deferment for qualified borrowers on our consumer loans, including: auto loans, personal loans, and credit cards.
Home Equity Loans & Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC)
- We are offering up to a two month deferment for qualified borrowers on our fixed-rate home equity loans and HELOCs.
Northwest Federal is following the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac guidelines for homeowners who are adversely impacted by this national emergency for all of our first mortgage loans, regardless of whether or not it is Fannie Mae-owned mortgage. Learn about these guidelines for single-family mortgages.
Whether it be personal, mortgage, or commercial loans, we stand ready to assist with any questions and concerns you have about your existing loan or future lending needs.
To see if you qualify for our loan deferment options, call 703-709-8900 to speak with a representative.
- If you are impacted by fees, we will work directly with you on a case-by-case basis to provide customized solutions to meet your financial needs during this difficult time.
Branch Availability and Hours
- Drive-thru Branches: Our drive-thru services at our Manassas, Gainesville, Leesburg and Rockville Branches are open to serve you Monday through Friday, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm and Saturdays 9:00 am - 1:00 pm.
- By Appointment: For service inside a branch, appointments are available in all branches and the Mortgage Lending Center 9:00 am - 3:00 pm and Saturdays 9:00 am - 1:00 pm.
To make an appointment at a branch call:
- Masks and Minding Space: Federal and CDC guidelines recommend that masks be worn in public spaces to help fight the COVID-19 pandemic. In Maryland, masks are now required per state regulations and we are following these guidelines across all our branches out of the highest concern for your safety and the safety of our employees. Our staff in branches are wearing masks and we ask that you do the same if you come in for an appointment. We also encourage you to maintain a distance of 6 feet of space between yourself and others when you visit.
- Please also note that our cash reserves and processes remain strong. We will have the cash you need at our ATMs and branches.
How to Conduct Many Branch Transactions Remotely
We offer many convenient ways to pay your Northwest Federal loans or make a deposit without having to go to a branch.
Loan Payment Options
- Online Banking - make payments by transferring funds from your savings or checking account to your loan accounts through Online Banking. You can also set up automatic monthly payments so you won’t have to keep track of due dates and your payments will always arrive on time.
- Online Payment Center- use our secure online payment portal to pay your Northwest Federal loans (excluding first mortgage and credit card accounts) via ACH or by debit card.
- Request a Loan Payment Coupon Booklet
- Send your payment by mail
- Mobile Banking App – deposit checks easily and securely with our Mobile Banking app with Mobile Deposit®. Download our free Mobile Banking app at the Apple Store® or Google® Play Store today to get started. Search “Northwest Federal” to find it fast.
Simply log-in to the app, select the “Deposit” icon on the screen and follow instructions to complete your mobile deposit.
- ATMs - deposit checks at ATMs from coast to coast. Use our Locator Wizard to find a deposit-taking ATM near you.
- Pop Money - send money to your friends or family the easy way with Pop Money, available within Online Banking. All you’ll need is the recipient’s email address or mobile phone number.
To use Pop Money, simply login to Online Banking and follow these steps:
- Click on “Payments” from the navigation menu
- Click on the “Popmoney” tab within the Payment Center
- Enter the payment information and follow the prompts to complete your request
- Wire Transfers - transfer funds internationally or domestically same day. Requests for international wires must be received by 2:30pm EST and domestic wire requests by 4:00pm EST for same day processing.
ATMs and Card Services
- We are taking special precautions to ensure our ATM’s are routinely disinfected and also stocked to ensure access to the cash you need when you need it.
- Our credit cards are contactless, which means you never need to touch merchant terminals or hand your card to a cashier to complete your purchase. (Watch this video to see how contactless payments work.) You can also add your cards to any of the following digital wallets: Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay and Garmin Pay which gives you the same ability to just tap and go. (Find out how to add cards to your device here.)
- You can replace any lost, damaged or compromised debit or credit card at any Northwest Federal branch. If you are unable to leave home, please contact us at 703-709-8900 to request a new debit or credit card to be sent to you home address on file. If you are in need of a new card immediately, we can rush your new card to you with overnight delivery.
Visit the Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information Page for information on how to keep yourself from falling victim to the increasing number of scams surrounding COVID-19.
Read our Message from the Chairman: Keep It Simple with Automated Bill Paying for helpful tips on how to simplify your monthly bill paying routine.
We're Here for You
We will continue to be available to serve you and will keep you informed of any changes via email and on our website. We also encourage you to follow us on Northwest Federal's Facebook page for frequently updated information.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation during this challenging time. The health of our members and employees is paramount to us, and we are taking the current situation seriously.